Tenure-Track Faculty position in dairy science – physiochemistry
November 28, 2022 to March 15, 2023
Faculté des sciences de l'agriculture et de l'alimentation
Département des sciences des aliments
More than a school, Université Laval is an entire community in the heart of Quebec City, a complete university recognized for its culture of excellence both in teaching and research.
- Develop an original research program in the field of dairy sciences and particularly physicochemical phenomena in milk and dairy products
- Teach undergraduates and graduate courses in food science
- Supervise graduate students in food science
- Participate in Department and Faculty pedagogical and administrative planning committees.
- Join the STELA research center and the Institute of Nutrition and Functional Foods (INAF).
- Academic background:
- B.Sc. (or equivalent) in food science and technology or related discipline
- Ph.D. in food sciences or related program
- Post-doctoral experience in dairy science or equivalent relevant practical experience in this field.
- Expertise in dairy science with an emphasis on milk and dairy product physical chemistry, particularly on the characterization of major constituents (e.g., proteins, lipids, lactose, mineral) and minor components (e.g., minor lipids, oligosaccharides, enzymes). Expertise in studying the impact of processing on milk constituents, dairy product quality and dairy protein structure-function relationships.
- Advanced knowledge and expertise in research methods relating to compositional analysis and characterization of the physicochemical properties of milk, dairy products, and co-products.
- Demonstrated capability to propose a feasible original research program.
- Demonstrated teamwork capability and experience collaborating with industry.
- Possess a record of recent scientific achievement and competitiveness for provincial and federal programs of granting and funding with a reasonable expectation of contribution to teaching activities in the food science department.
- Teaching experience is an asset for this position.
- Demonstrate teaching skills and be able to teach in French or make arrangements to become proficient in French within reasonable time. Université Laval offers support to new professors to learn French in compliance with Québec language legislation and university policy and thereby acquire progressively the linguistic capabilities required for their duties.
This is a full-time tenure-track professorship position. The pay scale and salary are determined according to the university staff collective labor agreement.
Application deadline : March 15, 2023
Job starting date : September 1st, 2023
To be complete, your application to this position must include:
- A letter of introduction detailing your motivation for the position offered.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (résumé).
- A document two (2) pages in length listing your 3 to 5 most significant contributions to research in the field of dairy science. Explain the importance of these achievements.
- A document no longer than five (5) pages describing in detail your proposed research program (with short-term and long-term goals) as well as its complementarity and synergy with research conducted by faculty members in the food science department, the STELA research center and at the Institute of nutrition and functional foods (INAF). This document should also mention past contributions to training highly qualified personnel, and in particular the strategy that you will undertake personally regarding equity, diversity, and inclusion in the training of HQP.
Your application must be sent by e-mail as a single pdf file to Professor Ismail Fliss, director of the food science department at Université Laval: email@example.com. Up to three letters of recommendation must also be sent directly by your references to the director by e-mail. The complete application must be received no later than March 15, 2023.
Valuing equity, diversity and excellence, Université Laval is strongly committed to provide an inclusive work and living environment for all its employees. For Université Laval, diversity is a source of wealth, and we encourage qualified individuals of all origins, sexes, sexual orientations, gender identities or expressions, as well as persons with disabilities, to apply.
Université Laval also subscribes to an equal access to employment program for women, members of visible or ethnic minorities, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities. Adaptation of the selection tools can be offered to persons with disabilities according to their needs and in complete confidentiality. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to qualified individuals with Canadian citizenship or permanent residency.